“Hey mom, how many minutes does it take to microwave a 25 pound turkey?”
The responses on social media can be funny, with reactions of shock, horror and disbelief. But even though mom typically knows best, mom may be wrong; you really can cook a turkey in a microwave!
Our microwave expert Evelyn Carpenter says it is possible but your microwave must have a convection mode.
Here are some of her tips for microwave turkey perfection:
- Make sure your turkey will fit in the microwave cavity. Since you will be using convection, there will need to be adequate space to allow the airflow all around the turkey.
- Prepare the turkey – defrost it first. Season – lift up the skin and rub the meat with the desired seasonings. You could inject the seasoning into the turkey breast. For a golden brown skin rub it with cooking oil.
- You can place the turkey breast directly onto the rack with a plate underneath to catch the drippings. Or you can put the turkey into a heat and microwave safe dish and place it on the rack. Also, the turkey can be placed into a cooking bag – follow the cooking bag instructions.
- Program the oven – the user has to enter the weight of the turkey breast. The cooking time will countdown.
Check the temperature of the turkey after about 2/3 of the time. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the breast, near the bone.
- Remove the turkey when the temperature is 165F. Cover with foil and let stand 10 minutes.